Apple Crumble Slice
- 4 CUPS (600G) PLAIN FLOUR, SIFTED
- 1⅓ CUPS (295G) CASTER SUGAR
- 375G UNSALTED BUTTER, MELTED
- 50G UNSALTED BUTTER, CHOPPED
- 1.2KG GRANNY SMITH APPLES, PEELED AND CHOPPED
- ¾ CUP (135G) BROWN SUGAR
- ¼ TEASPOON GROUND NUTMEG
- ½ CUP (80G) SULTANAS
- ICING SUGAR, FOR DUSTING
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the flour, sugar and butter in a large bowl and mix well to combine. Press half the crumble mixture into the base of a 20cm x 30cm lightly greased slice tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm. Remove from the fridge and cook for 20–25 minutes or until a light golden brown. Set aside.
- To make the apple filling, place the butter, apples, sugar, nutmeg and sultanas in a large saucepan over high heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for 2–3 minutes or until the apples are soft and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Spoon the filling over the base in an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the apples and cook in the oven for 35–40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool in the tin, dust with icing sugar and cut into slices to serve. Makes 16.
Tip: You can make the apple filling in advance and keep refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Christmas Chocolate Slice
- 100G DARK CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED
- 125G UNSALTED BUTTER, CHOPPED
- 1 CUP (175G) BROWN (LIGHT BROWN) SUGAR
- 2 EGGS
- ⅔ CUP (100G) PLAIN (ALL-PURPOSE) FLOUR, SIFTED
- 1 TABLESPOON COCOA POWDER
- 2 CUPS (440G) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- ½ CUP (125ML) WATER
- ½ CUP (125ML) SINGLE (POURING) CREAM
- 50G UNSALTED BUTTER
- 2 CUPS (70G) PUFFED RICE CEREAL
- 300G DARK CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED
- ½ CUP (125ML) SINGLE (POURING) CREAM
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the sugar, eggs, flour and cocoa in a bowl with the chocolate mixture and mix until well combined. Pour into a lightly greased 20cm-square cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 30–35 minutes or until set. Allow to cool in the tin.
- To make the caramel crunch, place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir, brushing any sugar crystals from the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush. When the sugar is dissolved, increase heat to high, bring to the boil and cook, without stirring, for 8–10 minutes until golden and the mixture reaches 160°C (350°F) on a sugar thermometer.
- Carefully add the cream and butter and stir until well combined. Stir through the puffed rice and pour the caramel mixture over the brownie, smoothing the top. Set aside for 30 minutes at room temperature or until almost set.
- To make the chocolate ganache, place the chocolate and cream in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Pour over the caramel mixture and allow to cool at room temperature for 3 hours or until set. Slice to serve. Serves 12.
- 1 CUP (150G) FROZEN CRANBERRIES, PLUS EXTRA TO SERVE
- 2 CUPS (500ML) CRANBERRY JUICE
- ¼ CUP (60ML) SLOE GIN
- ⅓ CUP (75G) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- 750ML ROSÉ WINE
- 2 CUPS ICE CUBES
- Place the cranberries, juice, gin, sugar and 2 cups (500ml) of the wine in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a 20cm x 30cm slice tin and freeze for 6 hours or until frozen.
- In two batches, place the frozen cranberry mixture, ice and remaining wine in a blender and blend until smooth. Divide between glasses to serve, or return to the freezer until ready to serve. Serves 8.
Southern Style Chicken
- 2 BABY COS (ROMAINE) LETTUCES, LEAVES SEPARATED
- 2 BABY FENNEL BULBS, THINLY SLICED AND FRONDS RESERVED
- 2 LEBANESE CUCUMBERS, CUT INTO MATCHSTICKS
- 1 GRANNY SMITH (GREEN) APPLE, THINLY SLICED
- 200G BLUE CHEESE, SLICED
- 1 X QUANTITY BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN, SLICED
- ½ X QUANTITY BUTTERMILK DRESSING
- Arrange the lettuce, fennel, fennel fronds, cucumber, apple, cheese and buttermilk chicken in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing to serve. Serves 4
- 125G GOAT’S CURD
- ¼ CUP (60G) CRÈME FRAÎCHE
- 2 TABLESPOONS LEMON JUICE
- 1 TABLESPOON WATER
- SEA SALT AND CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
- 2 PINK LADY APPLES, THINLY SLICED
- 2 GRANNY SMITH APPLES, THINLY SLICED
- 6 FIGS, HALVED
- ½ CUP (50G) WALNUTS, TOASTED AND ROUGHLY CHOPPED
- BABY (MICRO) BASIL, TO SERVE
- Place the goat’s curd, crème fraîche, lemon juice, water, salt and pepper in bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Arrange the apples and figs on a serving dish. Sprinkle with the walnuts and the baby basil. Serve with the goat’s curd dressing. Serves 4–6.